Chief of Party
The Chief of Party will serve as the lead supervisor, point of contact, and representative for all aspects of the USAID-funded Forest Incomes for Environmental Sustainability (FIFES) project in Liberia. FIFES is designed to provide broad support to biodiversity conservation and economic growth in Liberia. The goal of the activity is to develop key rural farmers and forest-dependent communities that combat drivers of deforestation and biodiversity loss.
The Chief of Party will provide overall management oversight and technical direction and will guide the entire program with a clear, consistent and committed vision. The COP with lead the technical team in designing the technical and operational strategy, developing the program work plan, and driving implementation of program activities. Additionally, s/he will monitor progress to ensure program goals are met on time and within budget, ensure compliance with USAID and ACDI/VOCA policies and procedures, and ensure that reporting requirements are met. The Chief of Party will oversee program administration, human resources, budget pipeline, and finances.
- Provide management and technical leadership on the direction of the project, with an understanding of the forestry and natural resource management sector;
- Ensure quality monitoring and evaluation;
- Assume overall responsibility for project implementation in the field;
- Oversee coordination and collaboration with ACDI/VOCA program activities and with other projects to ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency in program implementation;
- Ensure effective and accurate finance, progress, and donor reports, compliance with donor and ACDI/VOCA regulations;
- Ensure quality development of project reports, contracts, and other programming documents, and monitor ongoing activities;
- Oversee staff capacity-building and promote staff development and retention;
- Ensure compliance among key staff with all corporate and local ACDI/VOCA policies and procedures;
- Oversee budgets to ensure all expenditures are in compliance with ACDI/VOCA and donor policies and regulations as well as within the scope of the program budget;
- Monitor budget, fund disbursal, and financial records ensuring that project expenditures are in compliance with ACDI/VOCA and USAID policies and regulations;
- Cultivate and liaise with program partners, Liberian governmental agencies, USAID. Develop and maintain relationships with other organizations as appropriate which will serve to enhance project implementation.
- Minimum of 15 consecutive years’ overseas experience in the international development field is required;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in community forestry or natural resource management is required;
- Demonstrated track record of successfully facilitating engagement with the private sector within the agricultural sector;
- Experience managing large, U.S. government-funded programs worth at least $10 million;
- Demonstrated proficiency in the field of people and project management, as well as strategic planning;
- Effective record of building relationships with governmental organizations as well as private and community organizations is required;
- Established track record of achieving results within difficult working environments is required;
- Experience in Liberia or West Africa is a plus;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree preferred;
- Fluency in English is required.