Director of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development
IJM - Institut Jacques Monod
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Based on stated objectives, help to develop and then implement location-specific investigative strategies and tactics;
- Enforce IJM HQ investigative protocols and propose additional locally specific protocols;
- Recruit, train and supervise an investigative team of approximately two investigators, as well as investigation interns and volunteers; and
- Develop the leadership and management potential of key agents.
- In consultation with the legal team, manage daily investigative operations, ensuring that projected activities, outputs and objectives are achieved;
- Develop and manage a network of informants who can provide specific, credible information regarding cases of violent oppression;
- Develop and manage a network of operatives who can be mobilized to gather relevant information and evidence as directed;
- Develop and cultivate working relationships with key enforcement authorities;
- Develop and manage a full-time, in-house investigations unit that: gathers information from informants; directs operatives; gathers and analyzes evidence; presents such evidence to the police in a coherent and convincing manner; advocates for the police to take proper action; monitor such police action; and serves when appropriate as a witness to the crimes committed and perpetrator arrest;
- Ensure that: IJM investigation team members have clearly defined job descriptions and performance objectives; agent performance is monitored; and appropriate job performance feedback is regularly provided;
- Ensure that IJM and its agents comply with all IJM, government and donor requirements;
- Ensure that concise but thorough written reports of all investigation team activities are timely provided;
- Maintain detailed records of the office’s investigative work;
- Evaluate all investigative outcomes;
- Ensure the security of all investigative, legal and aftercare operations, reporting to the Field Office Director on security matters as they develop; and
- Ensure continual communication with supervisor regarding the status of operations and challenges faced.
- Fully understand the relevant local laws and procedures regarding investigations, arrests and charging of perpetrators;
- Advocate to government authorities for rescue of victims and perpetrator accountability and advise such authorities during enforcement actions;
- Pursue proper arrest and charging of perpetrators;
- Develop and continually modify a best-practices investigations training manual and materials;
- Lead efforts to train local law enforcement on best practices regarding the investigation of human trafficking; and
- Manage projects that increase the capacity of local law enforcement to investigate human trafficking.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with relevant government leaders, local churches, NGOs and other relevant organizations; and
- Host visits by IJM guests, teams, interns and volunteers.
- Carry out other additional assignments given by the Field Director; and
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
Required Skills and Experience
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish Language;
- Minimum of eight years’ experience in criminal investigation with a public law enforcement agency, international human rights agency, public international agency, private investigative or security firm, or military or national security agency;
- Proven ability to work undercover or supervise undercover operations;
- Experience establishing, developing and training operative networks;
- Minimum of three years successful management/team building experience;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice; and
- Prior Peace Corps, relief, legal, enforcement or other overseas work experience preferred.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree; and
- Experience in cases of commercial sexual exploitation of children and trafficking in persons.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Attention to detail and disciplined with priorities;
- Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s goals;
- Patient; works well under stress;
- Personable; sustained positive attitude;
- Diplomatic and flexible;
- Professional in demeanor and written and oral communication;
- Able to achieve goals in a cross-cultural and cross-religious setting; and
- Effective team player and leader.
For more details and to apply for this job click here