Program Director, Francophone Sub-Saharan Africa
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Program Director (PD), Francophone Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), to be located in the region.
The Program Director, Francophone SSA is responsible for leading and managing programmatic, financial, and administrative aspects of the regional program. The PD leads a skilled, professional team to plan and implement a range of programs for women’s reproductive health and rights in line with the mission of Ipas. The PD develops and executes region-specific strategic plans, annual operational plans, and generates new funding to secure program expansion. S/he ensures good stewardship of funding, adherence to Ipas policies and standards, and achievement of Ipas’s long-term strategic goals and objectives. The PD values high performance, accountability, efficiency, and innovation, and keeps results for our beneficiaries at the heart of everything we do. The PD is the primary Ipas representative in the region, working to maintain Ipas’s technical leadership, expand the regional program, and maintain strong partnerships by ensuring strong collaboration with local governments, international donors, and implementing partners.
- Position Ipas as a sector leader across the region by contributing to establishing and strengthening national and regional strategies and goals;
- Design, deliver, and lead Ipas’s regional strategic plans and annual operational plans, and lead country rollout of nested plans as needed, in line with Ipas’s global Vision, Mission, and Strategic Objectives;
- Work closely with the North Carolina Office to ensure growth plans for the region are integrated and supported throughout the organization, and programming meets Ipas’s standards;
- Develop and deliver a robust and cost-effective business model ensuring the ongoing growth of healthy and sustainable income streams;
- Lead and support the regional and country program teams, including strengthening programmatic and operational capacity of staff as needed;
- Foster a high-trust, positive management, high-performance work culture in the regional and country offices, based on Ipas core values and organizational culture.
- Ensure robust systems and processes are in place in the regional and country offices to support operations, drive productivity, and deliver results, including the effective use of state-of-the-art program and project management approaches;
- Ensure full donor contractual compliance for each project in the region’s portfolio, as well as compliance with Ipas's minimum standards and policies;
- Promote evidence-based decision making and lead the adoption of innovative solutions to improve program effectiveness and efficiency;
- Ensure quality is maintained through development and support of a quality and monitoring process for continuous quality assurance.
External Relations and Resource Mobilization
- Build and nurture strong partnerships with government, donors, health institutions, local organizations, media, and other stakeholders;
- Oversee the development and successful implementation of new program development and resource mobilization strategies, leveraging the support of the Development unit;
- Represent Ipas with donors at the regional and/or country level, and act as a spokesperson of the organization in these settings, advocating for women’s reproductive health and rights.
Finance and Governance
- Ensure the country programs’ legal entities meet good governance requirements;
- Ensure Human Resource (HR) systems and policies are aligned with best practices and local law, and that accountability is built into HR management processes and systems (e.g., annual performance goals, performance reviews);
- Lead in revenue growth and increased efficiency, basing strategic and operational plans on sound financial and programmatic results data;
- Ensure strong financial management in line with Ipas’s financial compliance policies and award requirements, monitoring and sharing financial performance through regular reviews and follow on actions;
- Ensure robust internal controls are in place to minimize and manage risk;
- Monitor safety and security issues in the region, and ensure regional and country offices comply with Ipas safety and security standards and policies;
- Ensure program adheres to local statutory, registration, labor, tax, and other local laws and obligations.
Applied Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated excellent advocacy and representational skills, including: communication and diplomacy skills, particularly in the areas of reproductive health and rights, gender, human rights, public health, and related areas;
- Strong team leadership expertise and experience, with proven success in strategic planning, fundraising, critical thinking, and problem solving
- Strong consultation, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills;
- Proven ability to build positive working relationships with country partners, especially district/state/national government officials, international donors, local organizations, and UN and bodies;
- Understanding of and experience in overseeing key project management and compliance issues and minimum standards, including: for program design, work planning, budgeting, and monitoring;
- A strong understanding of women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights in the Francophone region.
- Master’s level degree or higher preferred in public health, medicine, international development, gender issues, policy, administration, or related studies;
- A minimum of 10 years of increasing responsibility in team leadership and program management;
- Previous experience as a country director or manager for an international NGO preferred;
- Experience and demonstrated success in fundraising and maintaining relationships with donors;
- Professional level fluency in both French and English;
- Ability to travel approximatley 30%.