Senior Fishery and Aquaculture Officer
FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
FAO's Subregional Office for the Gulf Cooperation Council States and Yemen (SNG), is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). It assists the FAO Representations (FAORs) in the subregion with addressing subregional food security, agriculture and rural development issues at country level. The Subregional Office is a subsidiary of FAO’s Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE).
Leadership and technical policy expertise for the planning, development and implementation of regional programmes of work, projects, products, services in accordance with FAO’s Strategic Framework.
- Plans, manages, or leads highly specialized or multidisciplinary teams, leads, coordinates, and/or participates in regional committees, project teams, and working groups, and/or provides technical leadership/secretariat services on technical networks and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies; this entails collaborating with, and contributing to FAO’s Strategic Programmes and Regional Initiatives in RNE;
- Analyses global and country specific requirements and relevant technical issues to provide, in collaboration with the Regional Programme Leader, critical input into the FAO Strategic Objectives, Programme of Work, work plans and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies;
- Implements and monitors programmes of work involving the development of the approach, evidence based strategies, and related tools, methodologies and the supporting system/database, monitoring and reporting frameworks;
- Conducts, designs and oversees research and analysis activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovation, technical reports, publications, training requirements and/or ongoing programme development as well as the provision of technical and/or policy advisory services.
- Provides technical and policy advice to member countries and technical support to decentralized offices in the development and implementation of their programmes;
- Leads and/or collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning, on-line tools;
- Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies, in collaboration with concerned divisions (inter alia TCS and OPC) and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders;
- Leads and/or participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate Strategy.
- Responds to and coordinates, in collaboration with the Regional Programme Leader, the identification and formulation of requests for external assistance in the fields of responsible capture fisheries and aquaculture sustainable development;
- Provides technical support to the field programme in the framework of the FAO Code of Conduct for the Responsible Fisheries and ecosystem approach to fisheries and aquaculture;
- Liaises with the Fisheries and Aquaculture Department in defining, planning and implementing programmes for the development and management of fisheries and aquaculture in marine and inland waters of the region;
- Acts as Secretary of designated FAO regional fishery bodies;
- Provides technical and policy advice to member countries and technical support to Decentralized Offices including the entire aquaculture value chain from establishment to product marketing.
- Advanced university degree in fisheries and aquaculture, fisheries economics or marine affairs with a specialization in fisheries management and/or governance or other related field;
- Ten years of relevant experience in fish trade, fishery products safety and quality, field of statistics and data management of fisheries, or related field;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- Results Focus;
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering;
- Partnering and Advocating;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement;
- Strategic Thinking.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential;
- Extent and relevance of experience of policy issues of national and international trade in fishery products and the role of international organizations connection with them;
- Extent and relevance of experience in planning and implementation of programmes related to fisheries products and industries in development organizations;
- Ability to mobilize resources;
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing international meetings, seminars and training courses.