Director of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development
IJM - Institut Jacques Monod
The Director of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development (DILED) will be responsible for leading, conducting and monitoring investigations into the trafficking of children into forced labor in Ghana. The DILED will lead a team of investigators and other staff in partnership with local law enforcement officials to ensure that victims are rescued and restored and that perpetrators are arrested, charged and prosecuted under the laws of Ghana. The DILED will also lead strategies and activities targeted at reducing the prevalence of the forced labor trafficking of children through sustainable improvements in the performance of local law enforcement.
This position is based in Accra, Ghana and reports to the Field Office Director, Ghana, with a dotted line reporting to the Vice President of Security, Investigations and Law Enforcement Development based at IJM Headquarters.
Attain Justice System Transformation
- Partner effectively with local law enforcement and other Ghanaian government authorities to ensure effective rescue and restoration of victims and prosecution of perpetrators;
- Contribute to the design and successful implementation of a cooperative plan to transform key pillars of the Ghanaian public justice system so that the justice system provides accessible and sustainable protection of law to child victims of forced labor;
- Secure, through networking and advocacy, the requisite demand, political will, endorsement and resources from key government and non-government partners, stakeholders and donors for the implementation of a cooperative plan to accomplish Justice System Transformation;
- Contribute to the design and implement rigorous systems and processes for effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting of IJM Ghana’s Justice System Transformation activities and programming; and
- Effectively represent and leverage IJM Ghana’s work and experience with key constituents and stakeholders.
Achieve Collaborative Casework Objectives
- Lead and manage IJM-assisted investigations and interventions to ensure that victims are protected from violent abuse and that perpetrators of such abuse are held accountable under law;
- Build relationships of mutual trust and benefit with key government and non-government actors to ensure holistic care and protection of IJM clients consistent with the law and best practices;
- Design, implement, monitor and evaluate strategies and best practices for effective IJM-assisted investigations and interventions on behalf of victims; and
- Design and implement rigorous systems for effective monitoring, evaluation and reporting of IJM Ghana’s collaborative casework activities and programming.
Ensure Effective Management and Stewardship of IJM Resources
- Contribute to the development of the office’s strategic plans and budgets;
- Ensure spending of allocated funds in accordance with IJM’s budgetary and stewardship principles;
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, IJM policies and best practices;
- Based on stated objectives, develop and implement context-specific investigative strategies and tactics;
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures for the investigations team that are consistent with and supplement the Investigations and Law Enforcement Development Policy Manual;
- Develop and implement investigative protocols that are consistent with the IJM framework;
- Complete internal investigations as assigned by the Field Office Director;
- Develop and manage a network of operatives and informants who can provide specific, credible information regarding cases of forced labor trafficking of children;
- Maintain detailed records of the office’s investigative work;
- Ensure the security of IJM’s operations, reporting to the Field Director on security matters as they develop;
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information; and
- Carry out other additional assignments given by the Field Director.
Develop National Leaders
- Recruit, train and lead a highly effective, resilient and cohesive investigative team consisting of IJM investigators, interns and volunteers;
- Provide leadership that ensures that the IJM Ghana office provides and models a highly effective, multi-disciplinary and collaborative response to the target abuse;
- Serve as a model of servant leadership for IJM staff;
- Develop, monitor and evaluate concrete performance and leadership development objectives for IJM staff; and
- Provide regular feedback and evaluation to IJM staff regarding their performance and leadership development.
- This position requires full-time residence in Accra, Ghana; and
- This position requires regular travel to provinces in and around Lake Volta, and sporadic travel to the United States.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of five years’ experience in criminal investigation with a public law enforcement agency, international human rights agency, public international agency, or security firm, or military or national security agency;
- Minimum of three years successful management/team building experience;
- Proven ability to work undercover or supervise undercover operations;
- Experience in problem solving, project management, and strategic planning;
- Experience in conducting internal affairs investigations;
- Experience establishing, developing and training operative networks;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice; and
- Prior Peace Corps, relief, legal, enforcement or other overseas work experience preferred;
- Preferred Skills and Experience;
- Bachelor’s degree; and
- Experience in cases of commercial sexual exploitation of children and trafficking in persons.
- Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
- Attention to detail and disciplined with priorities;
- Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s goals;
- Courageous, confident, humble servant leader;
- Sound, disciplined judgment and problem solving;
- Rigorously results-oriented;
- Resilient, persevering in joy through challenge and failure;
- Able to achieve challenging goals in a cross-cultural setting;
- Diplomatic and flexible;
- Professional in demeanor and written and oral communication; and
- Effective team player.