Director of Communications and Media
AWID - Association for Women's Rights in Development
Overview of Position:
This is a unique opportunity for a seasoned strategic communications and media professional with management and team-building experience eager to work with AWID’s senior leadership and a talented communications team dedicated to advancing women’s rights and gender justice through the power of communications.
The Director of Communications and Media reports directly to one of AWID’s Co-Executive Directors and leads a team of approximately eight staff working remotely. The role holder provides strategic direction and oversight for AWID’s general and programmatic communications and media relations to help promote the issues we champion, amplify the voices of the feminist and social justice movements we work with, engage our key stakeholders and build new communities of partners, inspire support and advance the organization’s mission.
Candidates should have substantial, broad-based strategic communications, online campaigning and recent media relations experience in social justice and/or feminist causes. With a track record of HR and financial management, candidates should be able to master AWID’s priority issues and be passionate about gender justice. AWID is a multi lingual organisation and works in English, French and Spanish. Candidates should ideally be able to communicate fluently in at least two of these languages.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Communications and Media
- Develops and oversees the implementation of integrated communications and media strategies (including for the 2020 Forum) to advance AWID’s mission, broaden awareness of its initiatives and rally support for and from members and a wide range of allies and constituencies;
- Guides and oversees the production and/or commissioning of content that challenges the systems of oppression and puts the spotlight on the knowledge and stories of collective struggles and feminist realities and narratives;
- Guides and oversees the packaging and wide dissemination of AWID’s content and knowledge products to make it as engaging, targeted and accessible as possible;
- Applying an expert understanding of digital trends, guides and oversees the development and execution of a bespoke online engagement plan and dedicated campaigns designed to achieve deeper engagement from existing members and communities, while expanding and diversifying its communities from AWID’s priority constituencies;
- Guides and oversees the implementation of AWID’s strategy for media engagement with mainstream and alternative media across locations ensuring understanding and meaningful coverage of the issues we champion, and enhancing the visibility of feminist realities and narratives;
- Guides and oversees the regular monitoring and evaluation of all AWID’s communication actions and channels;
- Leads risk assessment monitoring and mitigation around communications, particularly as it relates to external communications, and media relations. Works with senior leadership to assess communications opportunities and helps shape and execute appropriate strategies;
- Sets the communication policies, procedures and controls and oversees its effective implementation and monitoring.
Financial and Human Resource Management
- Leads, mentors and provides strategic direction to staff ( including direct reports and a unit currently comprising eight total staff) working remotely in multiple locations across multiple time zones;
- Oversees the area’s annual budget (currently of approximately USD 650,000);
- Participates in the preparation of a comprehensive annual income and expenses budget;
- Ensures adherence to approved budget and all internal financial policies and procedures, including timely submission of quarterly and annual budget and variance information;
- Ensure the timely and effective implementation of program deliverables, including all activities, reports and evaluations;
- Support the Co-Executive Directors in relationship building with relevant funders, and manage select funder relationships that are relevant to the area's scope of work;
- Determines staffing and consultants/service providers needs to fulfill work demands on the area and oversees needed hiring within budget availability;
- Orients direct reports to the organization, its staff, the various programs of the organization, their staff team, and to their position;
- Sets explicit annual performance objectives for direct reports and development goals, provides guidance and coaching to those staff in meeting their objectives and regular feedback on performance relative to AWID’s overall outcomes and specific desired program outcomes;
- Motivates team members to strive for exemplary results and ensures that appropriate systems, tools and procedures are implemented.
- Participates in developing AWID’s strategic plans and related annual/multi-annual workplanning to guide the organization, within the context of AWID’s ongoing, evolving, organization-wide shared leadership process and practice;
- Takes an active role in the leadership of the organization, providing valued input on critical problems, participating in decisions affecting the organization’s programs;
- Participates in the Director's Team, working with others to address programmatic, human resource, financial, legislative issues as they arise to ensure that AWID is effective in achieving its outcomes as well as undertaking itself as a strong feminist organization.
Desired Skills and Experience
The Director of Communications and Media should be a self-starting team player, with big and creative ideas on using information, communication and media to address women’s rights and gender justice in this global context. The position requires someone who is able to translate visions into realistic and concrete plans and work with teams to set the course and process for implementation of these plans.
The following experience and qualifications are required for the job:
- At least 10 years of successful experience in strategic communications, media engagement social justice campaigning ideally gained in the social justice and/or feminist advocacy/policy arena;
- Excellent understanding of the changing media landscape and recent proven experience engaging effectively with a wide range of national, regional and international mainstream and alternative media through an intersectional feminist lens;
- Creative thinker with insight into the rapidly changing communications and digital campaigning environment;
- Track record of leading successful digital communications campaigns, building online communities and achieving high levels of engagement;
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills, with the credibility and skills to develop and sustain a broad range of relationships with external stakeholders
- Outstanding leadership skills with a direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem solving, with the ability to foster collaboration and contribute to building a strong sense of community among staff and motivate them to strive for high level results and a positive work environment;
- Strong human resource management expertise (at least 4 years); ability to supervise and mentor staff and engage all staff members and inspire credibility, confidence, build consensus, foster individual and collective growth and team-building, and create space for collaborative communications visioning and implementation. Experience of shared leadership models of work will be an asset;
- Ability to thrive when working under deadlines; strong project, time and budget management skills, and the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail;
- Experience working with diverse communities from multiple identities across the globe, in a virtual environment;
- Written and spoken fluency in English; fluency in Spanish and/or French is a strong asset.
- Advanced university degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or other related field;
- Complementary education in gender development, human or women's rights will be highly valued.
- Able to travel internationally (approx. 4-6 weeks per year).
- Experience leading a multi-location team.