Senior/Program Manager, Political Party Strengthening: Algeria
NDI - National Democratic Institute
Building on two decades of experience supporting improved democracy and governance in Algeria, NDI is currently implementing a two-year award funded by the British Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO) to support Algerian political parties to more effectively communicate with and represent citizens, and respond to their issue-based concerns through effective targeting, messaging, and policy development. The Institute is simultaneously implementing another two-year award, funded by the U.S. Department of State, to enhance women’s political participation, including as candidates and party officials. Through these programs, NDI is assisting parties to better engage with citizens about their priorities, incorporate those priorities into responsive policies and messages, involve more women and youth in meaningful roles in public life, and ultimately build public trust in Algeria’s political institutions and processes.
- Manage a significant political parties assistance program, with a particular focus on citizen outreach, policy development, party operational/structural development, and the participation of women and youth in parties at all levels;
- Develop and lead the implementation of individualized party training plans, in consultation with national and local party leaders, based on the needs of the parties;
- Design and conduct training sessions (workshops) and ongoing consultations (technical assistance and coaching) to political parties in Algeria, including in the capital Algiers as well as in regions outside the capital;
- Develop targeted training and reference material for participating parties;
- Provide day-to-day management, oversight and mentoring for a small team of local program staff in the Algeria office;
- Ensure programmatic goals are achieved and reporting requirements are adhered to;
- Collaborate with colleagues in Algeria and Washington to ensure adherence to financial requirements, monitor program budgets, and play a leading role in monitoring and evaluating program results;
- Draft and submit accurate and timely reports that detail program activities, monitor and evaluate program results and provide analysis of political developments.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with key partners in political parties, political party networks and partners, and NDI’s network of volunteer trainers and experts; and
- Represent NDI to Algeria-based members of the international and diplomatic community and assists with the Institute’s public outreach strategy in Algeria.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience working for/with political parties, on campaigns, or comparable experience; minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience for the title of Senior Program Manager;
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in international development, political science, or a related subject; graduate degree desired;
- Ability to communicate skills and experience to others and improve partners’ performance as a trainer and advisor;
- Experience in supporting political parties, including in: citizen outreach, local party branch development, policy development, increasing the participation of women and/or youth, and supporting internal party training programs;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and apply sophisticated political analysis to programmatic activities, and adjust activities in response to changing circumstances or needs articulated by local partners;
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal, and networking skills and ability to conduct professional relationships in a multi-cultural environment, including with senior political party leaders and grassroots level party members;
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial and administrative responsibilities; experience in results-oriented program design, strategic planning, and program evaluation;
- Superior oral and written communication skills in French and/or Arabic highly preferred; strong language skills in English required;
- Experience working in a non-English-speaking, multi-cultural work environment and ability to live and work in a challenging political setting, with experience in the Middle East and North Africa region preferred;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Google Drive environments, email technology, and spreadsheets; and
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations that may be remote and difficult to reach.