Project Development Officer
Wallingford, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
- to work closely with CABI scientists in the preparation and collation of information for project proposals
- to ensure that concept notes and bid documents conform to the requirements and priorities of donor organizations
- to handle financial information competently and confidentially, including analysis and presentation of data in line with both donor requirements and with CABI’s financial procedures
- to finalize project documents for submission, in excellent English and presented in a clear, logical and winning style
- to gather donor intelligence, explore new funding opportunities through regular monitoring of donor websites, and circulate this information to the appropriate contact points within International Development and the Knowledge Business
- to assist project scientists to develop logical frameworks and to plan and budget for project monitoring and evaluation
- to ensure that gender perspectives are adequately represented in project proposals
- to assist scientists with preparation of internal quality assurance documents during the proposal process.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Fluency in English, with first class written and oral communication skills
- Broad understanding of the use of applied biological science in international development
- Proven ability to rapidly evaluate complex information to ascertain its potential usefulness, and to produce a synthesis
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Familiarity with the logical framework and other strategic planning approaches
- Understanding of gender issues and how to mainstream gender perspectives in projects
- Good working knowledge of the MS Office suite of programs specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Competence in at least one other major language
- Familiarity with MS SharePoint
- Full driving licence.
Education & Qualifications
- Required: A first degree and/or M.Sc. in a biological or social science, preferably in agriculture, agricultural development or international development
- Desirable: PhD or equivalent experience.
- Considerable and demonstrable post qualification experience in an agriculture or agricultural development context – typically 5 years plus
- Proven experience of project development in an international development context
- Broad range of experience of operating on multiple projects and across borders and cultures.
- Significant developing country experience in agricultural development and applied research, ideally working with a wide range of stakeholders including local communities, NGOs, government officials, other partners, researchers, etc.
- Good knowledge of global and regional development issues including experience in research management.
- Highly motivated, organized and adaptable, with strong inter-personal and communication skills
- Comfortable working both independently or as part of a team
- Able to work under pressure and deliver high quality products to tight deadlines, including occasional out-of-hours working
- •rustworthy and capable of dealing with sensitive information in a discreet and confidential manner
- Robust with the operational grip and capacity to handle a demanding workload, including some travel.
- Ability to articulate scientific concepts effectively to technical experts and nonexperts
- Strong influencing and networking skills - a natural ambassador
- Ability to work and interface at a senior level both internally and externally
- Keen to mentor and develop staff.
Don't forget to mention IntJobs when applying.