Senior Manager, Institutional Development, Europe
Home Office, Netherlands
Reporting to the Director, Institutional Relations who is based in New York City, and working as part of an international team of fundraising professionals, the Senior Manager, Institutional Development, Europe will be charged with growing relationships and securing funding from multilateral and bilateral agencies in Europe, with a particular focus on Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, and Switzerland. S/he will manage a distinct donor portfolio with the goal of meeting short-term revenue targets and adding to the long-term pipeline of government funding for future years. The Senior Manager, Institutional Development, Europe will manage IR staff based in other locations and work closely with field and program staff to develop, write, and edit high quality proposals and reports. He/she will be a key leader in the Development Department, collaborating closely with Leadership as well as senior program and finance staff.
- Responsible for budgeting of European government revenue line and ensuring that the institutional relations team meets these annual goals;
- Lead the development and implementation of RA’s overall strategy to win bilateral and multilateral funding in Europe with specific fundraising targets identified for the short and long term (with expectation of securing six and seven figure gifts);
- Serve as strong external representative for the organization, engaging regularly with contacts at key government agencies;
- Write, adapt and edit proposals and concept papers for international field projects and programs, working closely with program staff and field teams, as required;
- Carefully manage all funders and prospects in his/her portfolio, tracking budgetary projections for each within RA’s donor database;
- Work closely with colleagues on the institutional relations team who are based in London, New York City, and Washington D.C. to coordinate on larger fundraising strategies and ensure complementary actions; and
- Other tasks as assigned.
This position will oversee institutional relations staff based in other geographies.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Relationship management: is able to cultivate and maintain relationships with major funders/donors;
- Communication skills: in verbal and written form, is able to articulate with conviction the work and aims of the organisation; adapts style to situation and audience; and
- Negotiation & problem solving: is able to negotiate and overcome obstacles to reach mutually agreeable outcome; able to influence at the highest levels.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience of program development/government fundraising with proven track record of securing seven figure gifts from European bi-lateral and multilateral agencies;
- Strong budgeting and people management skills;
- Experience in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, work environment – preferably within a global organization;
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) with fluency in English and German;
- Spanish and/or Dutch language skills a plus;
- High degree of organizational skill, including the ability to manage multiple priorities and work under tight deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as be an effective team member;
- Experience with/knowledge of conservation and/or community development issues preferred;
- High degree of skill in using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required;
- Experience with Salesforce or Luminate preferred; and
- Ability to travel up to 25% nationally and internationally.