Director of Development
PHR - Physicians for Human Rights
New York, United States
Under new executive leadership, PHR is seeking a creative, motivated and experienced Director of Development to build, articulate and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy for the organization, encompassing individual giving, institutional funders, major gifts, annual fund giving and fundraising events, including the annual gala. This position offers an exciting opportunity to partner with leadership and play a central role in developing and fortifying PHR’s full fund-raising potential at a critical moment in the organization’s 40-year history.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer and as a member of the Executive Management Team, the Director of Development will work in close collaboration with the Board of Directors, Executive Director and other senior staff. They will manage a development department team to expand current fundraising efforts and build a strategically comprehensive development operation. A primary focus of the position will be to fortify and implement a major gifts program and continue to build and foster relationships with public and private foundations, both internationally and in the United States. S/he will develop new and creative approaches to increase individual giving (major donors, annual fund, digital marketing) and ensure ongoing philanthropic support from foundations, corporations, and governments.
The ideal candidate will possess proven leadership, management, budgetary, and organizational skills; a strong record of securing new donors and track record with cultivation and solicitation of major donors; experience with donor acquisition programs, substantial experience working with Boards and executive staff; and the energy, enthusiasm, professionalism, and drive to achieve ambitious fundraising goals.
S/he will oversee and expand a team which includes: Director of Digital, Digital Communications Manager, Senior Manager – Institutional Development, Institutional Development Officer, Senior Manager- Individual Giving, Senior Writers, Development Operations Associates and consultants.
The overall purpose of the role is to secure sustainable and diverse funding across several income streams to ensure continuous and stables funding to support PHR’s mission.
The Director of Development will:
- Maintain and expand a strong financial base for the organization by strategically utilizing resources to develop, build and sustain diverse funding sources;
- Provide dynamic and innovative leadership for PHR’s fundraising efforts, building an infrastructure that supports short- and long-term goals, including the implementation of a major gifts program, annual fund and an online fundraising strategy;
- Inspire and engage a group of high net worth donors, interested in promoting human rights. Deepen relationships with current donors while launching initiatives to identify and target other individuals capable of making major financial contributions;
- Lead the design, implementation and monitoring of a global resource mobilization strategy to strengthen institutional income and partnerships, including bilateral, multi-lateral and foundation donors, to deliver and sustain program impact;
- Lead the development of an acquisition and prospect research program to expand the pool of institutional, major and individual gift donors;
- Assist in the identification, recruitment and cultivation of Board members on a national basis, identifying key leaders with an affinity for the mission and programs of PHR. Build a volunteer structure that encourages a peer-to-peer model of cultivation and solicitation. Work with the Board on both of their “giving” and “getting” strategies and solicitations as part of their board fundraising responsibilities;
- Guide and support the Executive Director and senior staff who are engaged with fundraising. Utilize key leaders’ time and talents appropriately with respect to cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts;
- Provide insights and develop new strategies and tailored cases for support to enhance the organization’s relationships with the foundation community;
- Develop, implement and follow through on all fund-raising events, especially the annual gala, and ensure that events are strategically positioned to raise funds effectively and efficiently;
- Oversee development operations, including gift accounting and acknowledgement, computer system operations, the tracking of gifts and grants, planned gift distributions, donor stewardship and integration with PHR’s data systems. Reconcile revenue with PHR’s finance department;
- Work closely with the Advocacy and Communications teams to enhance messaging at all levels of the organization, keeping donors and the public informed, thanked and involved; providing vehicles for more effective Board and staff fundraising communications; and ensuring increased giving opportunities through our Web site and social media;
- Oversee all development personnel activities; recruit and train a diverse and high-quality staff that is well-prepared to meet the ongoing challenges of a fast-moving organization; define job responsibilities and conduct performance reviews for all Development staff;
- Foster an environment that rewards new ideas and entrepreneurship that builds confidence, encourages teamwork, and promotes diversity; celebrate current achievements and set clear expectations for future success;
- Plan and carefully manage the development budget, ensuring that funds are spent efficiently and effectively in support of PHR’s mission;
- Work collaboratively and in coordination with other department directors, including through active participation in the work of the entire Executive Management Team. Conduct effective interdepartmental communications and provide regular summaries of all development activities to PHR directors.
- Experience formulating and executing a successful, comprehensive multi-million-dollar fundraising program at national and international levels, including annual campaigns, fundraising events, private foundation givings, institutional grants, major gifts, direct mail, and digital fundraising;
- Proven ability to cultivate, solicit and steward individual gifts and institutional grants. Experience with donor acquisition, cultivation and moves management systems and processes;
- Strong management skills, both strategic and operations, and a demonstrated ability to build, manage, mentor and motivate an effective team. Proven ability to set and achieve targets;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior leadership, Board members, staff, and volunteers, providing strong support and inspiring them to productive action;
- Excellent written, presentation and communication skills;
- Proven ability for operational efficiency and optimal use of resources; the skills to plan, monitor and manage a budget;
- Excellent staff development and management skills;
- A strong personal commitment to human rights issues. An affinity for PHR’s mission will be essential in successfully developing a vision for the development operation.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
- An energetic, dynamic leader who has a 5 – 10 year track record of effective management and fundraising;
- A proven ability to gain the respect and cooperation of all interested parties, including national leaders who are doctors and advocates in the global human rights community;
- Knowledge of and and experience using a fundraising database CRM such as Salesforce;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
Don't forget to mention IntJobs when applying.