Deputy Director, Ipas Africa Alliance
Ipas works globally so that women and girls have improved sexual and reproductive health and rights through enhanced access to and use of safe abortion and contraceptive care. We believe in a world where every woman and girl has the right and ability to determine her own sexuality and reproductive health.
The Ipas Africa Alliance Deputy Director will support the Africa Alliance Director in development and implementation of Africa Alliance strategies across the Africa Alliance program. This position will provide overall technical leadership, and programmatic and strategic oversight to staff and program to achieve the organization's vision, mission, and objectives. This position will build and ensure sustained synergy between key organizational work areas including; availability, accessibility, acceptability, quality of care, program evidence and technical evidence. This position is responsible for the oversight of the development and implementation of cross- functional strategies to enhance access to comprehensive abortion care and contraceptive services. The Africa Alliance Deputy Director will support the Africa Alliance Director in seeking new business opportunities for in-country program as well as donor relations management. This position also provides leadership, guidance and supervision to the technical staffs in Africa Alliance technical units.
- Provides support to the Alliance Director in program leadership and delivery of donor deliverables for Kenya;
- Monitors programmatic progress, reports results, and provides feedback to team leaders on program progress;
- Responsible for integrating activities of various Ipas output areas ensuring they work together to meet the set objectives;
- Provides leadership, support, guidance and constructive feedback to program staff; ensures that all team members understand performance expectations and monitors individuals progress;
- Works with the Program Manager in project review and implementation, ensuring projects are executed as planned in observation of budgets and timelines;
- Represents Ipas with government and health officials and local partner organizations; promotes Ipas’s work by participating and presenting in conferences, meetings, etc.;
- Ensures program activities are in compliance with Ipas policies, procedures and quality standards;
- Establishes a monitoring and evaluation framework and responsible for evaluation research to inform program design and delivery;
- Ensure program activities and outcomes are properly communicated and documented to both internal and external audiences;
- Support capacity building for partner organizations in identified areas;
- Provides input and overall guidance on preparation of proposals and donor reports;
- Interacts with other units, share progress of work, resolve problems, and find alternate workable strategies;
- Provides leadership support to the technical managers in overall program strategies as well as mitigating challenges arising in program implementation;
- Supports technical leads and facilitates documentation and presentations related to technical work, reference improvement of efforts to foster experience sharing and application of best practices;
- Liaise with various global units to resolve technical and complex program issues and linkages across availability, accessibility, acceptability, quality of care, program evidence and technical evidence;
- Managing performance of senior technical managers and program manager;
- Mentors individual team members in deliverable preparation and problem resolution in efforts to keep motivation levels high;
- Works with Senior technical staff and Program Support Team at headquarters in reference to program implementation, planning, reports, and other program issues;
- Reports to Alliance Director in reference to special requests, strategic planning, and program results and progress;
- Manages relationships with partners, sister organizations/non-profit working on SRHR in reference to common goals and program’s needs – focusing on Kenya;
- Manages relationships with government agencies at national and county level in Kenya.
- Advanced degree in Public Health;
- 10+ years’ experience providing program leadership;
- Experience working with an INGO with matrix relationships;
- Previous experience leading highly qualified technical staff;
- Ability to travel 25%.
- Working knowledge of program management and strategy development;
- Experience managing donor relations;
- Must be able to effectively communicate and interact with government officials, donors and other stakeholders;
- Must possess strong writing and presentation skills.