Liberia Country Director
Medical Teams International
We have an opportunity in our Liberia operation for a Country Director. The ideal candidate is someone with a proven ability to lead and grow all country operations. In this role you would support the mission of the organization by leading and managing MTI’s work in-country; representing MTI to key stakeholders; and overseeing the development and implementation of the country’s strategy and quality programs.
Ideally, your background would include serving as a member of the humanitarian community in either the Humanitarian Country Team, or other development or health related coordination forum. You would have a thorough knowledge of local funding opportunities and programmatic needs. This role would also take full advantage of your background as an excellent communicator, leader, influencer, self-starter, and strategic planner. Resourcefulness and a results-orientation would also serve you well. You may find this position to be very fulfilling if you yearn to be challenged and have a passion to grow MTI’s presence in Liberia.
The position is located in Liberia and reports to the Regional Director Africa and Middle East. Please continue reading below for the specific duties and qualifications of this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creates and implements the country strategy and program vision in accordance with the organization’s five-year plan;
- Champions capacity building and team empowerment toward the ultimate goal of a responsible exit strategy.
- Ensures all programs objectives are completed on time and on budget;
- Develops annual operating budgets and work plans and ensures effective budget monitoring, reporting, and financial management;
- Ensures monitoring, evaluation, and learning occurs with regard to planned and implemented programs;
- Ensures project proposals and reports are submitted on time and meet standards required by Headquarters and external donors;
- Ensures all program goals, activities, and personnel demonstrate commitment to national and international humanitarian frameworks and standards;
- Fosters collaborative, transparent, and accountable relationships with partners in the implementation of activities that address the needs of the most vulnerable people.
- Proactively, regularly, and consistently represents Medical Teams International to host and foreign governments, humanitarian actors including UN agencies and NGOs, faith-based and partner organizations, media, and other relevant parties;
- Identifies and participates in forums and meetings for the humanitarian community where there may be a strategic benefit to MTI.
Local Resource Acquisition:
- Maintains an ongoing awareness of the operating environment in-country and identifies particular needs in the health sector that fit with our core competencies;
- Proactively facilitates the growth of Medical Teams International programs in-country; maintaining strong links with donors; identifying funding opportunities; and leading the development of program-funding proposals;
- Leads, designs, and analyzes needs assessments and identifies relevant programmatic interventions on behalf of Medical Teams International.
- Creates an environment for MTI team members to be Courageous, Tenacious, Accountable, and Selfless;
- Develops a strong team that values accountability, 360-degree feedback, and transparency;
- Ensures that team members are effective, efficient, and diligent in meeting program goals;
- Creates a team culture that is committed to cultural and racial diversity;
- Provides feedback to staff to ensure optimal performance;
- Creates a culture of shared learning and professional development within the country team;
- Oversees effective human resource management including the recruitment, onboarding, supervision, and performance review, and professional development of local and expatriate personnel; complies with local laws and the personnel policies of Medical Teams International; and ensures personnel plan reflects operational needs.
Safety and Security:
- Reviews and oversees implementation of effective safety and security management policies and practices in accordance with Global Safety and Security Policy; including robust information collection practices and systematic testing of safety and security plans;
- Champions the importance of safety and security and incorporates safety and security considerations throughout all activities.
- Ensures Medical Teams International is compliant with host-government laws and policies, and with Medical Teams International’s internal policies and procedures;
- Ensures Medical Teams International maintains a constructive, transparent, and independent relationship with host-government, and ensures Medical Teams International has up-to-date registration/accreditation in country;
- Ensures all procurement, warehousing and program expenditures occur in accordance with best practices, and all contractors comply with contractual agreements.
- Master’s degree or higher in a field relevant to international humanitarian work.
- Minimum seven years progressively responsible experience in humanitarian programming and personnel management;
- Minimum five years office management experience in a developing country;
- Work experience in Liberia or West Africa preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Dedication to the mission of Medical Teams International;
- Commitment to organizational strengthening and programmatic growth in accordance with humanitarian needs;
- Proven ability to produce successful program proposals and develop strategic donor relationships;
- Strong organizational and program skills and experience, including strategic planning;
- Excellent financial management skills, including ability to prepare, monitor, and control budgets, reports, project proposals and partnership agreement documents;
- Strong working knowledge of health-sector issues in developing countries;
- Commitment to working in a manner that respects local religious and cultural sensitivities;
- Demonstrated experience managing a high-performing work team;
- High level of initiative with a strong results-orientation;
- Very resourceful;
- Excellent English-language skills.