Program Manager, HIV Prevention
CHAI - Clinton Health Access Initiative
Pretoria, South Africa
CHAI is currently expanding the focus of its HIV/AIDS access work and applying the techniques it has used successfully to improve access to HIV/AIDS and malaria treatment in developing countries to achieve the same for HIV prevention. Recent breakthroughs in HIV treatment and prevention research have created unprecedented opportunities to curb new HIV infections, save lives, and reduce the global investment required for the HIV response. The HIV epidemic is already being affected by the use of existing biomedical tools; however, limited global resource envelope and increasing rates of infection in high-risk populations present challenges to HIV prevention. With continued advances in biomedical prevention expected, CHAI sees now as the time to act. CHAI’s prevention work will strive to ensure that people in need of HIV prevention options can access the best quality tools and medicines at affordable and sustainable prices, as rapidly as possible. To achieve this, the team will support ministries of health in Sub-Saharan Africa. Globally, the team will interact with donors, manufacturers, multilateral agencies and other partners to identify and implement necessary market-based interventions. The team will also support next generation product development at all stages.
As South Africa Programme Manager of HIV Prevention, the successful candidate will assist CHAI’s South African Country Director in executing prevention strategy development and implementation, starting with oral PrEP and the She Conquers campaign for adolescent girls and young women as a pathway to combination prevention for young people in South Africa. S/he will, along with the South Africa Country Director, represent CHAI with government and non-government partners. S/he will manage a team of 3-4 dedicated staff. The Programme Manager will have strong relationship management skills, as s/he will interface with stakeholders in the complex HIV global health community.
CHAI is seeking a highly motivated individual with at least 5 years working as a consultant, programme manager, or strategist, preferably in the global health field. A proven record of leadership, programme execution, and communication skills is required. The Programme Manager must be able to function independently and flexibly in a fast-paced environment. CHAI places great value on personal qualities including resourcefulness, tenacity, humility and a strong commitment to excellence. This position reports to the South Africa Country Director.
- To provide technical assistance to NDOH for implementation of South Africa’s prevention guidelines and work to eliminate new infections including data collection and analysis, supportive supervision, forecasting of commodities, strategy development, developing presentations and briefings, and coordination with stakeholders.
- Manage workstreams supporting various aspects of South Africa’s goals, including but not limited to indicator development, routine monitoring, job aide development, training/workshop planning with NDOH and supportive supervision. Build and develop relationships with government, non-government, and other partners to facilitate coordinated work toward comprehensive HIV prevention programmes.
- Provide technical support for programme data management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Supervise 3-4 FTE’s, establishing performance goals, ensuring progress towards team milestones, and providing coaching and feedback.
- Coordinate and contribute to the development of standard operating procedures, training curricula and programme policy documents.
- Document the implementation of CHAI supported interventions and support the country team in the preparation of donor reports.
- Liaise closely with technical partners in government to monitor and evaluate interventions against objectives and targets
- Develop strong working relationships with and represent CHAI as trust advisor to key stakeholders in government, international partners, donors and NGOs, and ensure maximum coordination of resources and effort
- Provide additional support to the CHAI HIV programme and South Africa country team as needed.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience, preference for candidates with experience in management consulting and global public health at a managerial level.
- Advanced degree in management, public health, or other relevant fields a plus.
- Experience working in South Africa a strong plus.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in high-pressure, fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously whilst mentoring a team to perform consistently.
- Exceptional diplomatic and interpersonal skills, and ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders in a challenging, multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrated strong analytical, organizational, leadership, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent business-oriented oral and written communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement strategic new initiatives in uncertain and evolving environments.
- High levels of proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.