Program Manager, Africa Program Support Team
Chapel Hill, NC, United States
The Program Manager must have strong project management and international development experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa, and knowledge and commitment to advance women and girls’ sexual and reproductive health and rights. The PM must demonstrate this commitment through pragmatic and efficient decision–making, acting with a sense of urgency and providing candid, timely guidance to their teams and peers.
The Program Manager (PM) provides support and guidance to Ipas’s country programs and works closely with relevant senior leadership of the country program team. The PM is the primary representative and advocate for the country program in NC. Alongside the country team, the PM receives, and helps the team to manage and respond to requests in a timely manner.
The PM anticipates challenges and works closely with country leadership to identify issues, and help create solutions. The country leadership counts on the PM to be consistently available and responsive to their needs. The PM is also expected to be proactive, resolving issues as they arise, and/or escalating issues that may hinder country program performance.
The PM works with Ipas staff in country and in NC across units with a strong focus on efficiency, effectiveness and customer service for country programs, contributing to the achievement of the strategic, operational and sustainability goals. The PM has the ability to support multiple large and/or complex country programs. The position requires the ability and confidence to take initiative, work independently with minimal oversight, make quick decisions, and exercise strong management skills. The PM possess the ability to see the big picture view of the country program and its relationship to the entire organization.
Country Program Champion
- Serves as the primary contact to country offices and as a liaison between country programs, the Program Support Team (PST), Technical and Operational support and other Ipas teams;
- Streamlines communication and requests from Ipas NC to country programs;
- Flags when critical support to the country program has not materialized in a timely and effective manner;
- Connects diverse teams and personnel throughout the organization to support problem-solving, and address needs of the country program (programmatic and technical).
Help Country Programs Achieve Operational Integrity and Programmatic Success Aligned with Organizational Priorities and Standards
- Pro-actively ensures high quality support to the country program in a timely and effective manner;
- Disseminate information, updates and guidance to country programs on organizational policies, procedures, performance and priorities;
- Assist country leadership to adapt and implement organization-wide initiatives, systems and policies; Monitor for compliance with organizational policies;
- Responsible for supporting the execution of programmatic, financial, operational, legal and governance tasks;
- Monitors award compliance across a diverse set of donor agreements, including sub-awards, working with the award management unit as needed;
- Support the country teams with developing and tracking award budgets;
- Work closely with financial analysts to support implementation of financial management tools including review and analysis of country financial data;
- Contributes towards the conceptualization of program strategy;
- Manages and supports donor reporting process, including the development of report documents and ensuring quality, timely submission;
- Lead NC-based support to country-based project design and proposal development, including new project budget development, as assigned;
- Conduct routine program analyses, including regular review and use of monitoring data and organizational quality standard indicators to track progress against key indicators using performance metrics in collaboration with country teams;
- Partner with Research Monitoring and Evaluation Advisors to support country teams in implementing M&E plans;
- Ensure PST senior leadership and other staff members are aware of relevant issues; keeping them informed of significant developments and issues pertaining to the country programs;
- Provide program and project management capacity-building as needed;
- Coordinates with CDs and country leadership team to ensure timely and appropriate implementation of clinical and financial audit recommendations;
- Maintains current status and record-keeping for in-country legal and governance requirements;
- Fulfills other programmatic functions as requested and needed.
- You have at least five years’ relevant work experience, including experience in program management and working in developing countries;
- You are passionate about working on safe abortion, sexual and reproductive health; previous experience in these areas is highly preferred;
- You have a master’s degree in a relevant subject (MPH, MBA, MIA, etc.) or equivalent experience;
- You can keep cool under pressure;
- You are highly organized and a self-starter; you strive to make systems better;
- You have experience with donor funded awards, project or programs;
- You can impress us with your attention to detail and timeliness;
- You are fluent in English;
- You are able to travel up to 25%.
- Verbal and written skills in French and/or Portuguese considered a plus;
- Facilitation and training experience;
- Interest and experience in mentorship.